You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Thursday, February 17, 2011

Boxer and the Old Man


Here's a new boxer finished, and the Old Man in a more proper photo. The boxer is my third version of one sculpt (from Copplestone Castings.) The cap was sculpted from greenstuff. Before I added the hat (and I do this for all figures to whom I add hats) I filed the top of the boxer's head flat down to the tops of his ears. If you try this, don't just grab any old file and go to town; use a flat-sided needle file and go slowly so that can control the plane of the head and the amount of material you are removing while, at the same time, not accidentally removing any detail.

For me, this figure will represent my Sailor Steve Costigan, though, honestly, there is no mention of him wearing a hat in any of the stories. The Old Man, of course, is Costigan's captain, who, as I mentioned earlier, will not be part of playing Smokers. But he will have a nice home on my steamer. Sure, his command isn't a graceful windjammer like the Seagirl, but it's a command, nonetheless.

I think I've gone as far as I can with this sculpt: regular, bald and hatted. Though, I was thinking of a variant perhaps with a thick 1920s sports sweater. Maybe another time. So, that leaves just two boxers, and I will be finished with (painting) pulp for a while. I'm still not sure what I'll be painting afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment