You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Latest round of Apocalators built


The conversion work on my most recent batch of post-apocalyptic gladiators is finished. Painting will probably start this weekend or next week (I still need to drill holes in their feet to pin them to the bases, and that takes a little bit of energy.)

My favorite of this group is my "Varro" figure (in the lower right corner of the photo.) He was inspired by the character Varro from the Spartacus series; I left his head bare to show off his curls. This figure is actually quite close to the look of a traditional (closest to a thraex) gladiator (without a helmet of course.) In fact, except for being able to smith a proper gladius or shape out an actual gladiator helmet, I think I can sculpt my own classical gladiators. When and if I reach that point, I may sell off my 54mm Roman gladiators. To push my Varro into the post-apocalypse, I made his shield look like it was made from aluminum (aircraft?) panels (you'll see it better when I eventually post pics of the painted figure.)

My other favorite is the Nyarlathotep mutant. I'm going to paint the tentacle/tongue black with red tips. The tentacles will be blended into a blue body. I chose blue for a couple reasons: I have another blue-skinned gladiator who could be one of this guy's followers/minions, and the blue will be easy to blend into the black. I want the red tips to be reminiscent of blood.

A minor note: On my Varro figure (and a couple others), you'll notice the strap attached to his manica. This strap was made but cutting thin strips from an old Neosporin tube (a toothpaste tube will work, too.) Thanks to David at Bronze Age Miniatures for the idea. Another note: It's best to glue/secure all the straps on your sculpt first, then start adding your armor.

Just today, I ran out of green stuff AND got my new batch in the mail! 72" of ribboned green stuff! Not only that, but the new GS is about the freshest I have ever purchased. It was oh so pliable and nice to work with. Maybe I'll practice sculpting some of those classical gladiator helmets. Anyone out there sculpted gladiator helmets before? Any advice?

1 comment: