You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Friday, July 15, 2016

Zombicide Black Plague: Klom


Here is Klom the ogre for Zombicide Black Plague. He's a beefy figure sitting on an almost undersized 35mm base (the normal Zombicide base is 25mm.)

Yep, he's a big'un.
There was a lot going on with this sculpt so it was difficult to keep the painting clean. This is one of the reasons I don't like most sculpts these days; they're over-sculpted with gobs of detail, and my painting skills can't make that bullshit work. But I plowed through and got Klom finished.

Maybe I should have left the checkers alone and done a simple, one-colored hoody?
Speaking of checkers, those were actually the easiest to do!
Steo One: Paint the hoody white.
Step Two: Use a micron pen (size .005) to literally draw the checker pattern onto the hoody.
Step Three: Fill in every other square with black. You can add highlights or stop there.

In the past, I hadn't used this technique because I wasn't sure how the varnish would react with the micron pen ink. But since I don't varnish my plastic figures, there were no worries of what might happen.

This is the guy who makes balloon animals
for the kids at the Farmers Market.
Next up: I have some light grey/white drybrushed onto my Grail figures (and brown for Tim, of course.) Not sure how long those will take with my hands dipped in so many other art projects these days.

Tomorrow (Saturday), I'm headed to the Farmers Market to draw free portraits behind the guy who charges $20 for crappy caricatures. OK, I won't that mean of a troll, maybe I'll charge a couple bucks.

5 comments:

  1. Great job on Klom, just prepped him myself ahead of next month's game so will definitely be looking at yours for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fairly new to your blog, but what I'm seeing is amazing. Really amazing. (I do wonder - have you ever considered taking on commissions for miniature painting? I feel a bit rude asking in a comments section, but I couldn't find a contact link.) Regardless, thank you for sharing your work with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem; I usually take all questions via my comments section (I get notified via email, so I can answer questions on old, old posts, too.)
      I've considered commission work, but it's one of those things that I just have to be in the mood for -- and I rarely take any commission work; I have a hard enough time finishing my own stuff.
      That's one of the reasons I created this blog -- to help inspire, guide and teach others how to paint their own minis! :)

      If you have any more questions, feel free to post them in the comments.
      Oh, and welcome to my blog!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the welcome! (And I entirely understand regarding commission work - sometimes it's hard for me to see my own projects through, much less someone else's, ha ha.)

      I'll be sure to post any specific questions I have when the time comes, and thank you again!

      Delete